Nonprofit of the Year!
We’re tremendously excited to share with you that the Center for Financial Empowerment (the CFE), which SCE FCU founded in 2005, was named a Nonprofit of the Year at the annual Nonprofits Day luncheon in Sacramento on June 6th. California State Assemblywoman Blanca Rubio selected the CFE as the one nonprofit from her district to receive this honor. The Assemblywoman and her staff are strong supporters of the CFE and have become huge fans of the Mad City Money financial reality simulation program.
$22,500 in Scholarships Awarded!
The CFE has presented its annual scholarships – rewards for academic achievements, community service, and the drive to overcome cultural and economic barriers to change communities for the better. All recipients were selected from youth-focused nonprofit organizations SCE FCU partners with.
There were nine $2,500 scholarships awarded, including the George Poitou Scholarship, a special award named in honor of the CFE’s founding Board Chairman. Congratulations to all the CFE 2018 scholarship recipients:
- Metzili Garcia, Weingart East LA YMCA (CA) - George Poitou Scholarship recipient
- Amiyah Brown, Compton Youth Build (CA)
- Vicky Garcia, Weingart East LA YMCA (CA)
- Sheila Malley, Clark High School Academy of Finance (NV)
- Rony Perez, El Centro De Ayuda (CA)
- Johanna Pineda-Gonzalez, Puente Learning Center (CA)
- Linda Tran, Puente Learning Center (CA)
- Jocelyn Vasquez, Nevada Hispanic Business Group (NV)
- Megan Young, Clark High School Academy of Finance (NV)
On behalf of SCE FCU and the CFE, we’re incredibly thankful to our Credit Union members. The much-needed financial education we’re able to provide to youth in the Southern California and Southern Nevada communities we serve wouldn’t be possible without continued SCE FCU member support. Thank you for joining us in our commitment to break the cycle of generational poverty and create more stable communities through the financial empowerment of youth.