SCE Federal Credit Union's Financial Literacy Workshops Pay Dividends for Students
SCE Federal Credit Union’s Financial Series Covers a Range of Topics from Career Goals to Managing Your Credit ScoreJul 19, 2012 | In The Community
When SCE Federal Credit Union financial instructors talk to Los Angeles County high school classes about financial literacy, the students cash in.
Under SCE Federal Credit Union’s tutelage, 24 teens from Duarte, Baldwin Park and Colony High Schools finished in the top 20 percent – one student cracked the top-10 – in the 2012 National Financial Capability Challenge administered by the US Department of Treasury and Education.
- Goal setting
- Creating and adhering to budgets
- Paying yourself first (savings accounts)
- Keeping money secure (checking accounts)
- Investing and compound interest
- Credit scores
- Credit costs and benefits
- Credit reports
- Utilizing insurance for financial protection
- Pairing career goals and secondary education
SCE Federal Credit Union has been partnering with local schools in the Los Angeles, San Gabriel Valley and San Bernardino Valley communities for the past decade. Their credit union foundation will conduct more than 100 financial literacy workshops and courses throughout 2012.