Talking with your child about money can go smoother if you keep the conversation age appropriate. The conversation starters and activities here can help you find the words.
Conversations about protecting
- Know the websites your child visits. Block any inappropriate sites using parental control software
- For her safety, make it a rule she never gives out any personal information – like her birthdate, address, phone number, or school – when on the computer
- Don’t allow her to buy anything online without your permission
- Explain entering personal information, like a bank or credit card number, online is risky because someone could steal it. Thieves can use Social Security numbers or other personal information to open credit cards or create fake documents
- Make it a rule she never answers emails from someone she doesn’t know and never clicks on pop-up ads
- Share your own positive or negative experiences with online privacy
Basic Elements - Legal Text
This material is provided for educational and information purposes only. It is not a replacement for the guidance or advice of an accountant, certified advisor or otherwise qualified professional.